Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Potato Ham Chowder

I love Pinterest! I find lots of recipes that I wouldn't have thought to look for on there. Alek and I have been on a corn kick lately, so when I saw this recipe I had to pin it.

Original Recipe can be found at Damn Delicious 

Potato Ham Chowder



Ingredients


4 slices bacon, diced
1/4 cup butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 white onion, diced
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves (next time I would use fresh instead)
2 tables flour
3 1/2 cups milk
2 potatoes, peeled and diced
7 ounces left over ham, diced
salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions


1. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside. (I used left over bacon from breakfast and crumpled it)

2. Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent.

Stir in corn and thyme until fragrant.




3. Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. 

Gradually whisk in milk, and cook stirring constantly, until slightly thickened. Stir in potatoes.

4. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Add ham a few minutes more to warm the ham.


5.  Serve with crumbled bacon on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment